Thursday, March 19, 2009

Newts, Owls, Winter Wrens

What do these three things have in common? All part of today's walk!

After a long day at the office, I was glad to see that the radar was pretty clear for a late afternoon walk. I'd planned a 3 miler so we headed out to our Sulphur Springs out and back. Temps were pretty mild and I ended up shedding both jacket and vest before I was done. The trip up the hill gave me time to shrug off the day's stresses, too, and before long, I found the pace of my thoughts slowing down and a deep sense of peace coming over me.

We got to our half-way point just as the sun broke through the clouds. I paused there to soak in the stillness and be fully present to the light streaming between the trees. That's one of the reasons I love these walks--the experience is as much spiritual as physical sometimes.

It wasn't just me and the dogs on this walk. There's a great big puddle at the top of the hill that attracts many Rough-skinned Newts. I saw one lazily swimming in the turbid water as well as another crossing the trail later on. I love to watch this amazing little creatures: deliberately and resolutely walking, mechanically stepping, gracefully gliding through the water, bright rusty red bodies, funny blunt faces.

Farther down the hill, I paused to listen to the rushing stream in the ravine below. Moments later, a Great-horned Owl added its voice to the babbling waters, echoing across the ravine, raising the dogs' curiosity, bringing a smile to my face. A Winter Wren was singing there, too, adding his rollicking voice to the song of the creek.

Good Lord, I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment