Saturday, January 24, 2009

Dark, cloudy afternoon

We've been blessed by at least seven days in a row with sunshine. However, the clouds have rolled back in. Today started off gray and has gotten darker as the afternoon progressed. Dogs were restless, though, and in need of exercise (I was out of town yesterday so no walk). When we got to the Saddle, it was covered in cars so we went down to the turnoff for FR800.

When we arrived at the parking area, ours was the only car but an SVU pulled in right behind us. By the time we left, there were five car (including ours) in the lot. Guess lots of folks decided that the Saddle was too crowded.

In any event, we enjoyed a pleasant, brisk walk up the hill and back down. Dogs ran and wrestled, came home much more relaxed than before. That gives us 2.2 miles for today and puts us at 66.71 miles total since 12/20/09.

When I started logging miles using Daytum, I didn't really have a goal in mind. Then I got the idea to aim for 1,000 miles in a year's time. My dearly beloved said, "You'll smash that. Easy." So I upped the ante and said I'd aim for 2009 miles in 2009. At my current pace, I'm not going to make that. I need to average 5.7 miles a day. In the summer, I know I can log that many or more. Truth be told, I don't know how important it is to make the goal but I'd like to make a good showing.

This brings up another thought I've been having. Rather than just tackle a mileage goal, I'm wanting to walk for a purpose, like raising money for charity. Still mulling over which one but I've thought of using my miles as training for the Breast Cancer 3-day Walk in Seattle (Sept 11 - 13) and raising money through this blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc. And/or asking folks to pledge based on how many miles I log for the year. I've never tried anything like this before, so I'm not sure if I could raise the support. I know the dogs are up for anything called a walk, though, so they'll encourage me!

No comments:

Post a Comment