Thursday, January 1, 2009

Belated updates

Ended 2008 with a late afternoon walk with my friend, Carol. We hiked up my Baker Creek route with two energetic dogs. Big Dog was feeling playful and Puppy was on a roll. There was a lot of chasing and wrestling in lieu of walking for the two of them.

For the humans, it was a very pleasant way to draw 2008 to a close. Baker Creek was high and fast and loud with snow melt. As we arrived at the patch of big trees, the light was just right and the mist hung in the forest in such a way that the scene looked more like a painting than an actual forest. We were both struck by the sense of awe and grandeur. It really was like being in a sacred place--a cathedral, only better. There were no man-made sounds--no traffic, no airplanes. Just the creek in the distance, our footsteps, a soft breeze swishing the branch tops.

As I look back on 2008, I am continuously grateful for where I live and the natural places I have the privilege of walking through. I give thanks for my two playful, happy dogs, my strong legs and healthy lungs and heart. I am grateful for the silence of wild places, friendly hikers and mountain bikers and equestrians met along the trails. I give thanks for walks alone and walks with friends.

Last night at dinner, Carol asked if I'd made any resolutions. I told her 'no,' but that I was focusing on what I have that I want more of. That would include more walks with my dogs, more freedom and flexibility to spend time with my family and friends, more days like the one I spent yesterday. If there is a resolution in that, it's to take the camera more often to capture what I see along the way.

Happy 2009. May the year be filled with blessings for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment